Few things annoy me more than finding a knot in my skein of yarn. The more expensive the yarn, the more aggravating the knots. So last summer when I was knitting with Opal Ladybug and came to a knot I was very annoyed. I tried to be sanguine about it and continue on my way. Then the stripes didn’t match up. So I ripped back. I cut out some of the pink (so that I had the same amount on each sock [I ALWAYS knit both socks at the same time]). I knit on again. The stripes didn’t match again. I ripped back AGAIN. This had now moved into a major annoyance. I decided that I should be more scientific about the procedure. I carefully examined the yarn from both skeins and what do you suppose I found. After the knot, the stripe pattern was wound BACKWARDS. BACKWARDS!! I mean really how annoying.
Because of the knot I had automatically had two more ends than I should have. Then because of the amount that I had cut out (before realizing that it was BACKWARDS), I had to piece the end of the socks. So all total, my sock which should have had two ends had TEN ends. That is five times as many ends.